Thursday, December 9, 2010

Happy Helperz

Mother of a Sale is proud to introduce, Heidi Girvan, founder of Happy Helperz.


I was a stay-home mother of 3 kids under the age of 5, and needed systems and routines to make it until dinner time!

As a former primary teacher, I was well equipped with the educational tricks and tools with which to distract and engage children into doing tasks that needed to be done. When I taught Grade One at an all boys’ private school, I used the metaphor that I was the Mayor, and every student held an important job in my town. It was a democratic society, albeit with a very strong leader, and it would not function properly if every member did not do their respective jobs.   

When I started running a household, I found it much more challenging than running a classroom!  I quickly realized that if my kids did not participate in the daily chores and routines, I was going to drown in these mundane and redundant tasks.  I started employing the same systems that had worked when I was a teacher. My kids needed to help set the table, empty the dishwasher, clear their plates, help sort socks in the laundry basket, get dressed, etc. No task was too small – I needed all the help that I could get!

No comments:

Post a Comment